SAINT THOMAS', SELSIDE
Selside, LA8 9LA
The parish, which consists of the hamlet of Watchgate and a wide area of farmland, sits astride the A6 approximately five miles north of Kendal. There is a highly praised primary school, and a community hall.
St Thomas's church is situated more or less in the centre of the parish. The present church, which was built in 1837 and extended in 1890, is in a good state of repair. The former vestry has recently been refurbished, and is used for children's activities and PCC meetings.
There are virtually no second homes or holiday houses, although many farmhouses and barns have been converted to private residential use. Farming is the predominant activity, and a number of farming families have been several generations in the parish. The show of the Selside, Grayrigg and Mountain Districts of Westmorland Agricultural Society is held annually.
There is a strong sense of community, with regular fund raising events and other entertainments taking place.