SAINT MARY'S, LONGSLEDDALE
Church Street, Longsleddale, Kendal, LA8
St. Mary’s is a typical attractive rural, Lakeland Church. It was built in 1863 along with the Vicarage (now a private home) and school (now the Community Hall). The building is in good order; locals have raised and spent £45,000 to re-roof along with other repairs. The only significant issue is dampness on the west wall that seems to have resisted various attempts to cure. Falling attendances meant that the Longsleddale PCC put forward a plan, to close the church. Substantial community resistance led to it being run as a Festival Church under the auspices of Burneside with Longsleddale PCC. The church is normally open at all times. In addition to our festival services, it is used monthly by an independent Christian group as well as for occasional baptisms, funerals and weddings. The threat of closure spurred the community into action with increased contributions both financially and practically. St Mary’s is the only church in Cumbria promoting Champing where-by visitors stay overnight in the church for a fee.