Burneside, Kendal LA9 6QX
St Oswald’s Church stands in the centre of a large industrial village, the present Church was built in 1881, but there has been a Church on this site since 1602. The present building was designed by Mr C.J. Ferguson of Carlisle and built by five rag stone wallers.
St Oswald’s contains many examples of fine craftsmanship much of the carving is by Mr James Hatch of Lancaster and the reredos carved by the local carving class with the help of Arthur Simpson furniture maker of Kendal, There are many examples of fine glass painting in the windows. The organ built by Wilkinson’s of Kendal was installed in 1881.
The churchyard remains open for burials and internment of ashes.
At present there is a service each Sunday at 11.am. On the 1st, 3rd and 4th Sundays a Eucharist and on the 2nd Sunday a Service of the Word
The meeting room is well used by various groups such as, the Parish Council, the Brass Band, the Residents association, an exercise class and the Heritage group it is available for hire on an occasional basis. The Church provides a public toilet for the residents and visitors and hosts the outreach Post Office on three mornings a week. The church is designated the place of safety for the Village in the event of an emergency and is the site of the village defibrillator. Free Wi-Fi is installed in the building.
A monthly newsletter is distributed to approximately 750 households in the village and the Church makes use of the village face book site to publicise any events including the weekly names from the book of remembrance.